Wednesday, July 04, 2007

#7 Michael's Beyotches

Michael came into the conference room and sat at the table with the women. Pam sat at the table and Karen sat as far away from her as possible. Phyllis, Kelly and a very sick looking Angela sat along the large table. The women looked at Michael expectantly.

Michael’s headshot: I am recently come to the realization that I and Jan are living together. I don’t really know what to think. But I am lucky and now I have my own women to talk to. Kinda like a U.N. of sex and love. They are my female mind. My Charlie’s, no make that my Michael’s angels. Maybe I will have should put a speaker phone in there and call like Charlie?”

“Ladies, I have a problem.” Michael said as he sat down. “It seems that I am cohabitating with Jan. I am not sure if I should make her leave or let her stay. And if I do have her leave, can one of you do it for me?”

“You looked pretty cozy when we were at your house on Friday.” Phyllis said.

“I know, but,” Michael said weakly, “I didn’t know we were living together.”

“Now, you know she lost her job and her apartment, she doesn’t have any family in the area.” Pam said, “She has been there and living with you for 2 weeks and you are just now figuring it out?”

Michael looked frustrated, “But what do I do?” he whined.

“Michael, are you unhappy living with her?” Phyllis said directly.

“Not exactly,” Michael faltered. I mean she’s there when I come home at night and she makes the place clean and she has really got a lot more normal in bed. More cuddle time.”

“Then what is your problem?” Karen said, “You have her and she does all this stuff to make you happy, but you want to just ditch her?” Everyone was silent for a second as Karen’s words weighed in the air. Pam felt extremely uncomfortable.

“What’s wrong?” Kelly said looking at Pam. Phyllis gave her a frown and Kelly got the point, “Oh, you think Karen is talking about Jim dumping her for you!” Pam put her head in her hands. Karen glared at Kelly.

“This isn’t about them!” Michael said, “This is about me and Jan, focus!”

Karen frowned and looked at Michael. Phyllis, attempting to shift the topic back to Michael asked. “Do you think you could ever love her Michael?”

“I don’t know, maybe.” He faltered.

“Michael would you still like being with her if she got her boobs reduced?” Pam asked.

“I don’t know, since she lost her job she’s nicer.” Michael cried, “Not so demanding.”

“Ask yourself this Michael.” Phyllis asked, “Was your life in your condo happier before she moved in? What was life like before?”

Michael sat and thought about it for a second. He remembered coming home to a quiet, lonely home every night. The hours of solitude he spent on the weekends. All the dinners he ate alone. He remembered how there was no one around to help him when he burned his foot. Then he thought about the fact that Jan got up that morning and made him fresh bacon with breakfast. He hadn’t even had to use the George Foreman grill since she had been there. He smiled as he remembered how nice the party was. It went off some much better with a partner.
Michael’s smile answered the women’s questions. Phyllis reached out and touched Michael’s hand.

“I remember how lonely it was to come home to no one before Bob Vance.” Phyllis said softly.

“It’s so much nicer having a family there isn’t it?”

“Yes,” Michael grinned and whispered, “It is.”

“So tonight, stop by the store and buy that lady some flowers on your way home!” Kelly chirped.

“Do me one favor girls,” Michael said quickly, “Will you let me know before I end up married? I would kinda like to be part of the process.” They laughed.

“While we are all here,” Angela said curtly, suddenly apart of the conversation, “There is something I would like to talk about for a second.”

All eyes were on her. She looked up and some of the paleness colored with a flush.

“One, I am sorry for my behavior on Friday.” She said, and as everyone started to reassure her that it was just fine, she held her hand up to silence them. “I have been romantically involved with Dwight for a while now and I am not going to hide it anymore. So please respect our privacy. That is all I have to say.”

“Oh, man” Kelly inserted, “Sorry I was flirting with him last week. I didn’t know he was taken?”

“That seems to be a problem around here.” Karen said dryly. Pam flushed and the others looked away uncomfortably. They stood to leave. But Pam stopped them.

“Hold on a minute, there is one more thing we have to clear up.” Pam said with a voice loud enough for all those to hear. She reached down and pushed forth some of her Fancy New Beesly bravery.

“I did not steal Jim from you, Karen!” She said and looked Karen directly in the eyes. Karen crossed her arms and looked back at her defiantly. The tension was raw between the two and the others just gawked. Michael wondered if he was going to have a cat fight on his hands. Then he wished he had his video camera on him.

“I have known Jim for over 4 years. Never in those 4 years did he and I have a romantic relationship.” Pam said angrily, “Jim changed that last year and I pushed him away. When he came back from Stamford, he brought you and I stood back. I even pushed him towards you. I only said what I did at the campfire because it was something that had to be cleared, because he had been my best friend. He made the decision to leave you. He did it. But I want him to be happy and if he had stayed with you, I would have accepted it. You are a great person and even if you don’t have Jim, I know you are going to meet someone who really makes you happy. When you curse about Jim and I, ask yourself, was he really what you wanted. Did he really make you happy?” Pam finished the sentence, got up and walked to the door.

Karen sat very quiet and looked off. Phyllis came over and patted her on the back. Karen gave her a tight grin. The rest of the women and Michael watched quietly and then dispersed.

Pam excused herself and went into the hallway. Jim followed and pulled her into the spare office that the landlord had given him the key.

“What happened? He asked concerned, “What’s the matter?” His hands were on her shoulder and he was staring directly into her face.

Pam flushed and feeling light on her feet looked up at him and smiled. “I just stood up for you and me for the first time. It feels pretty good.” She looked up at Jim’s green eyes. The concern in them was so clear it made her heart skip. Pam reached up and drew him to her in a long kiss. When she pulled away, Jim hugged her close and rocked her for a few seconds. What was minutes felt like seconds as he pulled back and looked at her. He gave her a small kiss and pulled back to the entrance.

“Come on, my Amazon warrior, let’s get this day over with so we can be alone for a while longer.” Jim said.

No comments: