Wednesday, July 04, 2007

#4 Ryan returns to The Office

It was early in the morning and Pam unlocked the door of the Dunder Mifflin Paper offices. She turned on the lights and went to her reception cubicle. She was looking a little different today. Her hair had been blown into a soft sheen, rather than letting to dry naturally. Instead of her normal shirt and old sweater combination, Pam was wearing a silk blue blouse and a dark blue skirt that cut just above her knee. She was wearing a pair of dark patent leather pumps.

As soon as she sat down, Jim came in. He looked behind him and saw that no one was directly in back of him. He walked quickly to Pam’s desk and reached down and kissed her quickly.

“Good Morning Beautiful.” He whispered.

Pam beamed up at him. “You are going to get us caught!” she giggled. She reached up and wiped a lipstick smudge off his lips. Jim smiled and kissed her finger. He stood quickly when he heard the door behind him open. He turned in time to see Karen walking in the door.

Karen took in the situation. Her expression was unreadable. Jim’s back stiffened and Pam looked down at her phone.

“What, no welcome.” Karen said sarcastically, “Don’t you look cozy.”

“Karen…” Jim started.

“No Jim.” Karen said, “I have spent some time thinking about it, and I will be fine. I just think that you two need to give me a little space right now.” She walked past them and headed to the Annex.

Karen Headshot: “Yes, Jim dumped me…for Pam. I saw it coming. Maybe I pushed too hard in New York. I can say I was not too thrilled with how he ended it. I’m sitting and having a nice lunch with my friends. Jim calls and I meet him in Central Park…thinking maybe we are gonna have a nice carriage ride. No, no, no. Jim tells me that he has thought about it for a while but he feels that we have no future. He thinks we should break up and that I deserve better. I knew better. He headed right back here…to her. No, I’m not bitter.”

Jim went to his desk and laid his workbag down. He turned and looked at Pam. She gave him an understanding look and he shrugged.

Jim Headshot: “I knew this was not gonna be easy. But it too shall pass. I know I am the bad guy. Not a nice position to be in.”

Creed arrived and noticed Pam. “Hey there, are you new?” he asked.

“No Creed, its Pam. I have worked here for a long, long time.”

Creed squinted down at her. “Oh, well you are looking rather delicious today.”

Creed Headshot: “I have never met that woman. Our receptionist is a mousy little woman who wears very big sweaters. But I will play along.”

Kelly came in with Toby. She came over to the desk. She took one look at Pam and shook her head slowly. “Oh, Pam. Just because you put on more make-up doesn’t mean Jim is going to notice you. Pam don’t be so desperate.”

“Okay Kelly.” Pam said patronizingly. Kelly smiled a condescending smile and walked away. Pam looked over to Jim. She could see he looked bothered. He must still feel bad about hurting Karen. As if detecting her eyes, he turned and gave her a reassuring smile.

Michael came in last. He went directly to his office and closed the door. He closed his blinds and reopened then 5 minutes later. He opened the door and yelled for Pam. Pam went to his office.
“Our illustrious new supervisor slash traitor Ryan will be coming in the office today.” He said tersely. “Pass a memo to everyone here that we will be having a staff meeting with him this afternoon. I have to meet with him first. He said, “If I don’t kill him first.” He said under his breath.

Pam looked at his miserable expression, “Michael, I just want you to know that I am sorry for what happened and I stand by you.” Michael looked at her and smiled. His face lit up just a little. “Thank you Pam.” He said.

Pam Headshot: “Right now, I am so happy and my life is going so well. I just hate to see anyone else so miserable. Actually, I have a lot of guilt about Karen. But it feels good to make Michael feel good.”

Later in the day, Ryan arrived in his old office. He walked in wearing a sharp, expensive suit. His hair was cut a little shorter. He was carrying an expensive leather brief case.

“Hi Pam,” He said, “You look really great today.”

“Hello Mr. Howard.” Pam said professionally. “Michael will be with you in a moment.”

“Come on Pam,” Ryan said, “It’s me Ryan.”

“I will let Michael know that you are here Mr. Howard.” Pam said softly. She turned looked down and pushed the receiver. “Michael, Mr. Howard is here for his 1:00 appointment.”
Ryan looked a little embarrassed and turned towards Michael’s office.

Andy came over and said loudly, “Ryan, so good to see you. I am so happy for your Ryan. It couldn’t have happened to a better man.” He shook Ryan’s hand zealously. “Welcome Ryan back to the old homestead.” He smiled widely, still shaking his hand. Ryan broke the shake.

Michael came out of this office. He glared at Andy. He walked up to Ryan and said coldly. “Well, Mr. Howard. Welcome to Scranton.”

“Oh Michael,” Ryan said quickly, “Come on, I am sorry I went over your head…”

“No,” Michael said, adding quietly under his breath “Water under the bridge. Bridges, bridges cover water, where people drown traitors.”

“What?” Ryan asked.

“Nothing!” Michael said and gave a large exaggerated smile. He patted Ryan on the back, “Hey come into my office.”

Ryan went into Michael’s office. He turned at looked helplessly out as Michael closed the door.

Pam signaled Jim to her desk. “Tell the others that Ryan is here.”

Jim walked over to the accountants, telling them of a plan he devised for the office meeting. Phyllis smiled and shook her head as Jim informed her. Stanley just shook his head and waved Jim off. When he got to Kelly, he looked at Karen and Kelly, they both glared at him, so he turned and walked back to the front.

“Michael, I am sorry.” Ryan said, “But I hope we can get past this. I have some wonderful ideas for the branch.”

“Really,” Michael said, “Did you pick up a lot of information since your interview with David? I guess that is why you never made any sales. You were using your work time to learn innovative new ways to change the office.”

“Listen Michael,” Ryan said defensively, “We are going have to make this work. I am your supervisor now. You are going have to deal with it.”

Michael’s eyebrows lifted, “Really…Okay well why don’t we meet the rest of the staff and you can explain to them some of your new…ideas.”

Ryan sat up and straightened his tie. “Okay…If we have to go this route. Time will fix this Michael. You will see how great it will be.”

They walked out of the office. Michael said loudly, “Everyone, Our new Supervisor Ryan is here to speak with us all. He’s going to tell us how we can run the branch better. He has the wonderful, extremely talented ideas to share with us.”

Ryan looked a little green.

Everyone headed towards the conference room. Stanley walked past Ryan and said “Hi-ee” in a falsetto voice, reminding Ryan of his horrendous sale call. Creed walked past and looked at him head to toe. Everyone walked past. No one else made eye contact until Kelly. She was the last in the conference room and she gave him a death glare. Ryan felt a little urine escape.

Everyone was gathered in the conference room. Pam sat on one side of the room. Karen sat directly in the back. Kelly sat in the very middle, directly in front of where Ryan was standing. Jim sat away from Pam, trying not to be too obvious about him and Pam. They had discussed this earlier. Michael closed the door and turned towards Ryan. “Well, here ya go.”

The room was deadly quiet. Stanley took out his crosswords and started to write. Phyllis started knitting quietly. Angela looked out the window. Everyone in the room looked everywhere and elsewhere except at Ryan. Only Kelly, Karen and Dwight stared at Ryan. They glared at him and he started to sweat.

“I wanted to say hi,” Ryan said, Stanley laughed, Ryan blushed. “Okay, let’s get the 800 pound elephant out of the room.” Ryan said too loudly.

“I understand that many of you are upset.” Ryan said, “I should have let you know I was applying for the job. But, I didn’t feel like I would get much support.”

“Because you set the office on fire with your cheesy Pita?” asked Dwight.

“Is it because you are a jerky creep?” asked Kelly loudly. Kevin giggled in the corner.

“Maybe it’s because you’re a conniving opportunist.” Karen said under her breath.

“Okay, Okay” Ryan said quickly, losing control. “I know you don’t like this, but this is the way it's going be! I am the new supervisor!”

“Great pep talk Ryan.” Michael said, “I think I heard something like that from Stalin…that guy that ran Communist Germany.”

“That was Hitler,” Jim corrected. “Stalin ran Communist Russia.”

“Oh, Yeessh,” Michael agreed, “Hitler. I can see the resemblance.”

Ryan’s face started to turn a little red. He was completely speechless. Everything that he came prepared to say was out of his mind. He looked up. The room was completely quiet. Every pair of eyes was on him.

“People, we are going to have to work this out.” He said sternly. He placed his hands on his hips. “I…I…”

“Hi-ee.” said Stanley in the back of the room.

Ryan walked quickly out of the room.

Ryan Headshot: “What am I going to do fire the whole Office?” He shakes his head.

Ryan stood in the break room, trying to gather his thoughts. Jim came in behind him.

“Ryan, did you really think this was going to go well?” Jim asked.

“I really thought it would go more professionally.” Ryan muttered.

“You worked in this office how long?” Jim questioned, “Has there ever really been a professional moment here?”

Ryan grinned, “Not really.”

Jim bought a soda from the machine, “Give it time. Next time bring another Corp guy with you.” You came here too soon.”

“Why are you guys so loyal to Michael?” Ryan asked, “The guy’s an idiot!”

“Ah, but Ryan,” Jim said, “He is our idiot. He is the King Idiot of our Idiot kingdom.”

“You’re a smart guy.” Ryan said, “Why do you stay here?”

Jim looked out the window. He saw Pam sitting at her desk. She was watching him.

“I guess I can honestly say…that my heart is here.” Jim said.

Ryan just shook his head and walked out. He went to the front and turned to look at the employees already sitting at their desk. It was as if he had never come by. Andy was the only one to acknowledge him. He waved from his desk.

Ryan just shook his head and left.

Michael came out of his office. He looked around the office. He felt a burst of pride at the loyalty he saw his staff today. Then Michael did something he had never done before. He turned quietly and went back into his office. The sound of the copier, phones and Andy humming filled the room.

The end of the day finally came. Everyone came by Pam’s desk, saying their goodbyes, except Karen. She didn’t look at Pam or Jim. She just slammed the door on her way out.

Pam stood up and put in her sweater. Jim joined her and they walked out the office door.
Michael put on coat and grabbed his briefcase. He turned off the lights, locked the office door and walked into the hallway. When he reached the elevator, he ran into Jim and Pam. They were locked in a passionate embrace. They were oblivious to Michael and didn’t hear his soft tread on the carpet. He stood there silent and watched them for a second. The elevator dinged and opened.

Pam and Jim broke apart with a smile. They jumped when they say Michael watching them quietly. Pam paled and Jim placed his hands in his pockets.“You guys have a nice night.” Michael said matter-of-factly as he entered the elevator. They stood mouths agape as the elevator closed. They looked at each other and laughed.

No comments: